Death in the womb (Female Foeticide Part 2)


[This is a first person account on female foeticide.]

I was killed for a crime that I did not commit. Rather, for a crime that wasn’t a crime at all.

I quietly lay in the dingy womb hoping to see the beautiful world outside. I lay there dreaming of the tiring evenings when I would play with grandpa in the park. I dreamt of nights when grandma would tell me the tales of beautiful fairies and princess in the castle. I dreamt of daddy scolding me for hiding his car keys. I also dreamt of my brother teasing and irritating me. I dreamt of the love that would be showered upon me once I become a part of the world of these wonderful people. But all my dreams were shattered.

My story came to end even before it could start. My story ended the day doctor aunty told ma and daddy that I would be born as a girl. The clinic had a board saying: “Spend 500 rupees now and save Rs 5 lakh later.”
“It’ll all be done in 15 minutes,” I heard doctor aunty saying. I thought it was time for me to see the faces of the two people who created me. But little did I know my creators would be my destroyers. I shouted…albeit in silence. It took a little knife and Rs 500 to mute my voice. It was all done in 15 minutes. I was denied a life.
Rohan, whom I thought I’d call bhaiya, faced no such situation. He was given the right to witness the colours of life because he’d be an earner and would carry on the family name. He’d also support parents in their old age. But daddy what if he turns out to be like you? What if he too finds his monthly income too meager to support ma and you? What if he too leaves you, one evening, in a nice old age home? Then wouldn’t his right of existence be unjustified?
Mamma, I remember the scriptures you read when you did not know the gender I was to have. “In this land, a woman is worshipped- Nari sarvatre pujyate,” this is what you had read. It is in this very land that mamma you did not allow me to see how the women are worshipped.

Female foeticide, the gravest of all issues concerning women, was most common in urban China in the second half of twentieth century. Female infanticide is still a problem in developing countries, especially developing countries where males are valued over females. In most countries in the world, there are approximately 105 female births for every 100 males. In India, there are less than 93 women for every 100 men in the population. Some are killed in the womb, others perished as infants, while many women succumb in a desperate bid to have a male child. Today, we are living with the illusion that we are at par with the developed giants of the world. Considering the scenario, we must think a hundred times even before we call ourselves citizens of a progressive nation of the 21st century. We may have developed technologically; but are we putting these technological developments to proper use?




12 comments:

Anonymous said...

a very intriguing message..
a very good point u said..keep it up!!

Ensharing said...

Purva,you have raised a very ery vital issue which concerns all of us.I fully agree with your views:
“In this land, a woman is worshipped- Nari sarvatre pujyate,” this is what you had read. It is in this very land that mamma you did not allow me to see how the women are worshipped...

An eye opening post.Thanks for this.
My best wishes.

vyaas said...

really too gud!!

Sophiagurl said...

i liked the way you depicted abortion, from the unborn child's point of view. it's so touching.

Mai said...

Thanks for stopping by our blog. I had to check out yours. I really like it, I'll visit from time to time.

Here is another account of a foeticide sacrifice to the god of patriarchy:
http://manhi29.blogspot.com/2006/10/foeticide.html

This simple little poem moved me to tears.

jack frost said...

Is there a clinic that really has that board...that u mentioned. I hope it was just ur hyperbole.
I suppose, female foeticide has decreased substantially these days. According to what i read n heard, people are showin more interest in havin girl babies these days. But still, let's hope that it comes to a consummate end somday.

Purva said...

@ jack Frost

I haven't seen the board myself but I believe there are copious amount of clinics having such a message. Well, the stats show the atrocious sex ratio in India. Even today, there are middle upper class families who prefer boy child over girl. You may be surprised to know that their reason is more psychological than anything else. India is yet to see days when there won't be a single sigh of disappointment on hearing cries of a baby girl.

But as you wrote let's hope that it comes to a consummate end soon.

Impressionist said...

Love the way u have written it!
nice way to spread the message! I dont think anybody could have written it any better! :)

peace & love
Jeevy

Anonymous said...

For feminist bitches, killing of unborn children in womb is a "birth right" where as female foeticide is a genocide!!

Why feminists are opposing ban on abortion all over the world?

3 times more men than women die due to murders, suicides and accidents. Yet, feminists create false alarm saying that there is a 80% chance that your daughter will be beaten, slapped, kicked, raped, burnt for dowry.

So, this alarmism is contributing to female foeticide.

When will feminists stop lying?

Save Indian Family

SIF-Times

Anonymous said...

Couldn't agree more. Wish every woman in the "hospitals" right now could read it..

Unknown said...

read it, nd nw i feel helpless that as i dnt knw what all possible thngs can i do. wl surely like to punch the hypocrat criminals, and can promise that wl try nd have as many daughters as possible. hd write it in hindi, put it on radio or smthnsmthn so tht it can reach masses, so that the criminals themselves can read it

gurpreet said...

Very true !
AN eye opener to all those who don't realize it for a second.

God bless ,

Preets

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...